Saturday, November 7, 2009
Catch 22 11/7/09
Joseph Heller's Catch 22 doesn't seem to go anywhere so far. I have read a few pages but I have simply no idea what this book is about. It seems like the beginning is similar to the middle of a Kurt Vonnegut book where little details seem to make up most of the story. Unfortunately for Heller, the details seem to be pretty redundant and useless to the story and actually seem to make it less comedic while it should make it more. Little lines like "The Texan never minded that he got no reply" (11) or "They put the Texan in a bed in the middle of the ward, and it wasn't long before he donated his views." (9) seem to be the ending statements of whole paragraphs. I have not read much, but so far the main character Yossarian seems to be a horribly lazy and boring person. The story reflected around him seems to be so directed at others that the reader cannot find out anything important about Yossarian through his actions. The story so far has been a web of random details that have not yet been glued together.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I like how you reflect on the book and provide criticism. It lets someone have somewhat high expectations for the next part of the blog and for you you keep reading. But i think you should go more into the book, because I don't know much about these characters and about what is going on. For example, I do not know who Heller is. You give examples showing that he is the author of the book or the main character, but i cannot figure it out. But, I like how you put in quotes that are fro the story and you also analyze them, as they relate to what you are saying.
ReplyDelete