Sunday, September 20, 2009

9/20/09 The World id Flat

The way Friedman has compared the economic situations in both America an Japan was amazingly detailed and perfect as was his clear description of the economic theory "what goes around, comes around" (29). His meeting with a CEO of a Japanese company and the conversation about outsourcing jobs to India and China really took me by surprise. I had not suspected that Japanese companies would outsource so many jobs to China but it turns out that thousands of their jobs are. However I cannot help but wonder if this is why Friedman is convinced that the world is flat (economically). Friedman's constant small jokes and puns help put a great spin on the book. When told about how Japan outsources their jobs to China, Friedman claims that he could only respond with "'Say what?'" (32). Still, he does add some insignificant observations that have nothing to do with the story or the point (at least not yet). I have read 70 pages of the book so far and I am definitely going to continue reading it. I also look forward to learning about other businesses around the world that follow the same economic objectives.

No comments:

Post a Comment